Regarding: KIT’s Policies on Overseas Researcher Acceptance(To: Faculty and Staff)

June 27, 2022

To: Faculty and Staff,

From: The KIT Novel Coronavirus Infection Control Task Force
From: President Kiyotaka Morisako


Regarding: KIT’s Policies on Overseas Researcher Acceptance

 According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) document, Based on the New Border Measures (29), from June 10, 2022, which relaxed the entry of first time foreign nationals into Japan, for the time being, KIT will handle the acceptance of researchers from abroad as follows.
 In accepting researchers from overseas under these measures, KIT is required to take responsibility for the management of the behavior of those who enter Japan, and must complete the associated application for acceptance procedures. We therefore request that you fully understand and comply with the content of this notice.

 The following is a brief description of the procedures for acceptance of overseas researchers.

1. Procedures for Overseas Researcher Acceptance
 The acceptance of researchers, etc. from overseas under these measures will be permitted only when the following matters are handled by the host faculty member(s) in a responsible manner.
① Informing the section in charge of the information (personal information such as passport numbers of prospective visitors) necessary for the application procedures for the Entry-Reentry Health Verification System (ERFS) of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW)
② Host faculty/staff are responsible for preparation of necessary documents related to visa issuance for the prospective visitor.
③ Ensure that the prospective overseas reseachers complies with “New Border Control Measures (28).”
④ Provide support for procedures that the prospective visitor must undertake upon entry to Japan (see 3. below).

 For more information on accepting international students and visiting researchers, contact the International Affairs Section (see Section 5. Relevant Offices). 2.

2. Outline of “New Border Control Measures (29)
 Foreign nationals applying for first-time entry under① or ② below may, in principle, be admitted as having “special circumstances” provided KIT completes the prescribed application.
① First-time entry for a short stay (less than 3 months) for the purpose of business or employment
② First-time entry for a long period of stay

3. Responsibilities of the prospective applicant:
① Coordination of the date of entry, means of transportation upon arriving in Japan.
② Installation of the Health and Location Monitoring App, MySOS and use of the Fast Track service (a service that allows visitors to enter information such as inspection certificates into MySOS prior to entry and complete the screening process in advance).
③ Use of the Visit Japan Web Service that allows visitors to complete entry procedures such as quarantine, immigration inspection, and customs declaration at the time of entry into Japan.
④ secure a place to stay just after entry into Japan
⑤ Arrangement for post-entry testing (PCR test or antigen quantification test) (if needed)
(Reference: Fast Track Information Page)
(Reference: Visit Japan Web Service)
(Reference: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare HP List of laboratories offering self-funded tests)

4. Travel and other expenses
 The main items listed in “3.” above and other expenses incurred in applying for the “New Border Control Measures (28) and (29)” (e.g., accommodation expenses, PCR test or other test expenses, travel expenses to and from accommodation facilities) are included in the travel expenses. However, if you are considering inviting a researcher funded by outside (“non-KIT”?) sources, consult the section in charge (see below) at the planning stages, as there may be restrictions on travel expense payments.

5. KIT Procedures
 If you are considering accepting overseas researchers, consult the relevant section below at the planning stages.
 Currently, a visa is required for all foreign nationals to enter Japan, regardless of the length of their stay. The time required for visa issuance varies depending on the circumstances in each country. Be sure to check the time required for visa issuance and the procedure flow chart below, and advise the researcher to plan the trip well in advance.

Contact persons and areas of responsibility:

Recruitment of foreign researchers:
 Personnel Planning, Personnel and Labor Affairs Office
Acceptance of International Students:
 Student Exchange Services, International Affairs Office,
Acceptance of International Visiting Researchers:
 Academic Alliances, International Affairs Office
Acceptance of other international researchers:
 General Affairs and Planning, General Affairs and Planning Office

Procedural Flow:
※When employing international researchers, the following items ①②⑫⑬⑭ are not required.

※When accepting international students and international visiting researchers, the International Affairs Office will handle the necessary procedures.

① Faculty members accepting an applicant are required to prepare a travel itinerary (Attach Form 3).
(A travel itinerary must be submitted even if the travel expenses will be borne by the applicant or host country.
② The travel-approval authority decides whether to invite the student/researcher or not
③ After approval of the travel request (in the case of employment, after the decision of the employing institution), the host faculty/staff must enter data necessary for application into the Entry-Release Medical Check System (ERFS) or contact ERFS directly.
・Recruitment of foreign researchers:
 Contact the Personnel Planning, Personnel and Labor Affairs Office.
・Acceptance of foreign researchers other than the above
[Registration Form]
④ After the application is completed, the section in charge applies for the Entry-Release Medical Check System (ERFS) based on the information in ③, and sends the ERFS Acceptance Certificate to the host faculty/staff member.
≪Requested time for issuance of ERFS certificate: about 1 day ≫
⑤ Host faculty/staff prepares and submits the following documents required for visa application.
  (Required documents differ according to the country.)
  a. Reason for Invitation Letter
  b. List of Applicants (*when two or more applicants apply for a visa at the same time)
  c. Proposed Schedule During Stay
  d. Letter of Guarantee
  e. Certificate of Employment
[Reference: Ministry of External Affairs, Visa Application Procedures, etc.]
⑥ Host faculty/staff send the documents a~e prepared in ⑤ and the ERFS receipt of ④ to the prospective student.
⑦ The prospective student applies for a visa at the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate-General in his/her country of residence, and the visa is issued after the application is completed.
(*If you cannot enter Japan due to not being issued a visa, contact the section in charge.)
⑧ Come to Japan
⑨ The host faculty/staff confirms that there is “no need to quarantine” or that “quarantine” was completed after arrival and reports to the travel approval authority.
⑩ The visiting faculty/staff member arrives at KIT and pays travel expenses (may be adjusted after returning to Japan)
 The host faculty/staff must submit documents that can confirm that the inbound traveler’s waiting list has been lifted (e.g., a copy of the “Notice of Waiting List Termination” screen from the Immigration Health Center) to the Accounting Section (or the Personnel and Labor Affairs Office in the case of hiring a an international researcher)
⑪ Stay at KIT
⑫ Return to Home Country
 Host faculty/staff prepares a travel report and submits it to the travel approval authority.
⑬ Approval of travel report by travel approval authority
⑭ Travel expense reimbursement procedures

※In the case of a long-term stay (91 days or longer), the host faculty/staff member must apply for a “Certificate of Eligibility” prior to the documents in ④ and ⑤. It takes about one month to process the Certificate of Eligibility, so contact the section in charge of its issue as early as possible in the planning stage.
[Reference: Immigration and Residence Management Agency, Application for Certificate of Eligibility]

6. (Reference: Border measures to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) (28)”  
「New Border Control Measures (29)」

For further information, contact:
(Regarding this notice, acceptance of international researchers and overseas travel in general)
General Affairs and Planning, General Affairs and Planning Office
 Tel: 075-724-7014
 E-mail: soumuki[a]

(Regarding the employment of international researchers)
Human Resources and Planning, Labor and Personnel Office
 Tel: 075-724-7019
 E-mail: jinjikikaku[a]

(Regarding travel expenses)
Financial Accounting Office
 Tel: 075-724-7073
 E-mail: kitkeiri[a]

(Regarding travel abroad and the acceptance of international researchers using external funding)
Industry-University-Community Collaboration,
Research Promotion and Collaboration Office
 Tel: 075-724-7714
 E-mail: research_cooperation[a]

(Acceptance of International Visiting Researchers)
Student Exchange Services, International Affairs Office
 Tel: 075-724-7129
 E-mail: kokusai[a]

(Regarding international student acceptance and student study-abroad travel)
International Student Section, International Affairs Office
 Tel: 075-724-7128
 E-mail: ses[a]

※Change [a] to @.